Vix Knits… and crochets and sews…

My adventures in the wonderful world of arts and crafts

Mina’s Tuxedo Vest – finished!

on May 2, 2012

Finally!

I have to say I’ve had a fair few problems with this project and I’m really, really glad to have finally finished.

So, a few weeks ago, I posted about the twist that I’d somehow managed to work into one side. I couldn’t figure out how to turn it into a design feature so I was forced to do the unthinkable… cut it out!

This is actually a lot less scary than it sounds and was made even easier by the small number of stitches I was working on and the loose tension of the piece.

Here’s a brief rundown of the process:

Step one: pick up two rows of stitches, a row apart

The twisted stocking stitch actually made this a little easier because the stitches are more defined than ordinary stocking stitch

Step two: cut the row in between the needles (try and cut it in the middle of the row so there is adequate yarn attached to each piece) and carefully unravel the row

Step three: untwist the side and line up the pieces

Step four: kitchener stitch. Use a blunt tapestry needle and a length of yarn about four times the length of the piece to be joined. Hold the two pieces with the wrong sides together, the needles parallel and with both ends pointing to the right.

To start, insert the tapestry needle into the first stitch on the front needle as if to purl and pull the yarn through, leaving the stitch on the needle. Insert the tapestry needle into the first stitch on the back needle as if to knit and pull the yarn through, leaving the stitch on the needle.

*Insert the tapestry needle into the first stitch on the front needle as if to knit, pull the yarn through and remove the stitch from the needle.

Insert the tapestry needle into the next stitch on the front needle as if to purl and pull the yarn through, leaving the stitch on the needle.

Insert the tapestry needle into the first stitch on the back needle as if to purl, pull the yarn through and remove the stitch from the needle.

Insert the tapestry needle into the next stitch on the back needle as if to knit and pull the yarn through, leaving the stitch on the needle.

Repeat from * until you have one stitch left on each needle. Pass the yarn through the last two stitches and bind off.

This method of joining actually creates an extra row of stitching so keep this in mind if you’re using it to lengthen or shorten a piece of knitting.

You can hardly see the join although the stitches are a little tighter than the rest of the knitting.

The odd looking row at the shoulder is where I struggled with the provisional cast-on. However, I think this is more to do with the twisted stocking stitch used for the vest because when I picked up the other stitches to work the collar, they looked fine.

And here it is!

I altered the collar using short row shaping around the back neck, progressing toward the front.

The pattern uses wrapped stitches but, to be honest, I’ve never really understood how they work so I didn’t use them at all. Apparently they prevent holes from forming during short row shaping but my collar looks fine so I’m not worried.

I also changed the buttonholes. The pattern uses crab stitch (reverse double crochet) but I don’t get on well with it so I just worked two rows of double crochet with three chain spaces for the buttonholes. Unfortunately my buttons were too big so we had to have an emergency button buying expedition.

I’m a little unhappy with the overall fit of the vest and the armholes seem huge but I think it looks pretty good on and it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for.

 

Advertisements

5 responses to “Mina’s Tuxedo Vest – finished!

  1. Russell Farr-Jones says:

    Even with you breaking that down into steps it sounds far too scary!!! I’m very very impressed. Looks good. 🙂

  2. cross(stitch)yourheart says:

    Looks good from the pictures, I admire your knitting talent! And I agree with the previous commenter, even with your break down of those steps I don’t think I’d want to try it on my own…

  3. Vix says:

    Thanks guys. Honestly though, as long as you pick up the right number of stitches, you can’t go far wrong. But I love praise so yay me!

  4. […] only made one piece from the book so far (Mina’s Tuxedo Vest) but there are plenty more I’d like to try […]

  5. […] right. I’d decided to use 4-ply instead of DK mostly because I had so much left over from my Tuxedo Vest but I was also interested in a nicely delicate […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: